Here’s the cover I’m doing for my altered book.Â I used a piece of vegetable cured leather, 4-5oz.Â Â I wanted to have the look of cord-bound book, so I wrapped plastic over the book (to protect it from water) then wound it with twine.Â I got the leather wet and stretched it over the twine to get that design.Â
Tomorrow, the painted version.
Mistakes I learned from:
When you cut into theÂ leather, it leaves a narrowÂ groove that the paint doesn’t want to go into.Â I had the right idea of putting india ink into the groove, but it would have been better had I done that before painting the acrylic.
When I trimmed the leather to match the book, I hadn’t taken the plastic off.Â This made the lines a little off, and the leather got cut too short on one side.